4 L&D thoughts you can't live without - Savvy

4 L&D thoughts you can’t live without

Since December 2020, we have held Zoom sessions with top managers, community leaders, HRDs, and CEOs of various IT businesses. Here is the second article with short L&D conclusions created based on five sessions with top managers and specialists. 

Here you will find the top four thoughts and conclusions we came up with. Find more reviews on the #SavvyUA Medium page by this link.

Corporate MBA for CEO: a perfect way to grow top managers within the company

Mini MBA for top managers is a growth program for leaders and top managers in the CEO of their projects. This is an excellent option for top managers when they have reached the highest level of development. As it is a full-fledged course with homework, mentors, and classes for ten weeks, it can overload employees and make them feel tired.

Moreover, it isn’t easy to measure the effectiveness of training. After all, all metrics are relative and depend not only on people’s involvement and company profit growth. If the team is ready and agrees to integrate the acquired knowledge, try to use indirect metrics, such as reducing the number of requests on this topic in IDP (individual development plans). When choosing metrics, experiment with several areas, such as employee satisfaction, personal or departmental performance, and the number of iterations where the knowledge was used.

Mentoring programs: one more method of saying you’re an excellent specialist! 

Mentoring is an additional way to boost skills, stimulate employee communication, realize talents within the whole L&D process, and recognize the “coolness” of a particular employee.

Mentoring programs begin when your leveling system shows that an employee has reached his limits and is quite bored in a current workplace. So it’s time for an offer. Maybe a mentoring program is a right choice. If a person wants to become a mentor but does not have the expertise, involve him in the process step by step. Start with onboarding newcomers. It is also essential to monitor the number of working hours of the specialist to prevent burnout. 

Unicorns of IT sphere: how to find and define A-Players

A-Players are people who have a 90% chance of becoming one of the top 10% of company performers. As for the global A-Player market, only 5-10% of employees are A-Players.

The efficiency of one A-Player is equal to the efficiency of two or three B-Players. The thing is, A-Player is more about personal qualities and Soft Skills. So clear and structured interviews, scorecards, and competency assessments will be an excellent choice to define A-Player among other candidates. Some companies and HR departments also use the MBTI test for 16 personality types. It provides additional information on how to understand and interact with the candidate.

Compensation kit: HR lets you choose your way

You will probably agree that benefits need to be shaped by the company’s needs and employees.

For example, a company can divide compensation into the following blocks: L&D, Health, Technique, and give a person the opportunity to spend money on courses, insurance, or a laptop that he chooses.

Of course, such requests for L&D benefits must be confirmed in advance by a manager and specified in the PDP (personal development plan). Also, an employee needs to justify how you use the book, course, or field he wants to study.

How do you build an effective L&D process for Junior / Middle and Senior specialists?

What areas of compensation are the most popular among your professionals?

What helps you find and motivate A-Players? 

Please drop a comment below to let us know your thoughts.